Job Title: Chief Electoral Officer
PAID position – $900 Honorarium
The GSS represents the 10,000 UBC graduate students. Our elected executives get graduate students talking about important issues and inspire them to enjoy an active and balanced campus life.
This role will allow you to play a crucial role in the society’s annual elections, encouraging individuals to nominate themselves for election and inspiring graduate students to vote for the next group of student leaders.
- Promotes the GSS Executive positions open to nomination to graduate students across campus. Explains the nomination and election processes
- Ensures that candidates are aware of the responsibilities, duties, and time commitment required for the Executive positions
- Manages the nominating process, reviews nominating documents and authorizes the candidates who have provided the documents necessary to be considered a candidate
- Prescribes the procedures for counting the ballots and communicates these procedures to the candidates before the counting begins
- Announces the election results to the Society membership via the Society’s communication channels.
- Reports to the GSS Council meeting following the election and makes recommendations on the election process
In collaboration with the GSS Elections Committee and the GSS marketing and communications team the CEO shall:
- Develop and implement the necessary advertising strategies to call for nominations and to encourage voting from the GSS membership
This should include:
- Organizing at least one all candidates meeting and/or candidates’ debate before the opening of the polls.
- An Elections page on the Society website with a section that provides the candidates an opportunity to present their backgrounds, platforms, and intended goals for their term should they be elected
- Regular electronic communications to advertise the nominations and election period
- A UBC graduate student with a passion to promote student democracy
- Strong time management and project coordination skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent Attention to detail
- An interest in student government and the needs of graduate students
The post runs throughout the GSS electoral period January – end March. The weekly time commitment is c4hrs.
- $900 honorarium
How to Apply
- Email: email@example.com
Subject line should read: GSS CEO
- Application deadline: 12pm, December 7th
Please submit a resume and a cover letter, detailing why you are interested in the position and any examples of prior experience that is relevant to the position.