The five student executives and five staff members who manage the day-to-day operations of the Graduate Student Society of UBC (GSS) Vancouver are creators and instigators. Yes, they obsess over details, like commas, fonts, and picas, but they also mix with big ideas. They get the 10,000 UBC graduate students talking, get them stoked and inspired for an active and balanced campus life.
The Communications and Marketing Director facilitates communication with graduate students at UBC Vancouver and the campus community. The incumbent handles all marketing affairs to achieve a consistent and engaging voice for the GSS, from communications strategy and website development to social media presence and creative design. This staff member also assists the GSS President in being the voice of the society.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Managing the development of innovative and strategic communications campaigns to support the society’s mission, goals, values and objectives
- Producing well-written, accurate and engaging content for a variety of communications channels, such as press/news releases, website, graphic design, and social media
- Developing and improving brand identity through management of communication, website development, graphic design and video production
- Enhancing overall media relations for the GSS by identifying Public Relations opportunities, providing media training, outreach activities, and coordinating media interviews for GSS executives and councillors
- Supervising and hiring of marketing staff
- Attending GSS council and committee meetings, as required, in a non-voting capacity. These meetings will require flexibility in work schedule
- Acting as the first point of contact for IT support at the office, troubleshooting technical issues as they arise
- Managing additional technical support requests to IT consultant
- Provide bi-weekly reports to the President on communication, with a focus on engagement
- Provide monthly reports to the Executive on GSS communication
- Provide a written report to council at monthly council meetings
- Provide a year-end report on all the innovative GSS communications, including recommendations for improvement.
Preferred Qualifications & Skills
- Relevant work experience or education in marketing and communications
- Experience with integrated marketing communications strategy preferred
- Development of marketing plans and strategies from conception to implementation
- Experience with web design and development, and in particular, WordPress, Adobe Dreamweaver, HTML, CSS, PHP, and CPanel
- Experience with graphic design and video production software, including Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere Pro and After Effects
- Experience with managing and analyzing business accounts on social media platforms and dashboards, such as Hootsuite, Facebook Pages and Facebook Insights, Twitter and Twitter Analytics, Instagram, YouTube, and Dasheroo
- Experience with press releases and media monitoring
- Bonus points if you have at least an intermediate level of computer literacy
- Excellent team player and self-motivated learner
- Strong time management and project coordination skills
- Ability to work under pressure in a deadline driven environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- $41,000 per year plus benefits (non-negotiable)
- Benefits include full health and dental plan coverage, MSP premium coverage, RRSP matching (up to 5%)
How to Apply
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject line should read: Communications and Marketing Director – your full name
- Application deadline: Until filled
Please submit a cover letter and resume (all documents in a single .pdf file) that details experience and training specifically relevant to the requirements of the position.
We thank all candidates in advance for their interests in the position. However, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls or follow-up emails, please.