The five student executives and the staff members who manage the day-to-day operations of the Graduate Student Society, UBC Vancouver (GSS) are advocates, creators and instigators. Yes, they obsess over graduate study success, like academic policies, supervisor-student relationships, and extended health and dental coverage, but they also mix with big ideas. They get the 10,000 UBC graduate students talking, get them stoked and inspired for an active and balanced campus life.
The French Instructor will introduce UBC graduate students to the French language with an emphasis on oral expression in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. The French classes are part of GSS programming designed to improve graduate student life.
- Teach two weekly beginner-level French courses for the Fall semester (12 of 1.5-hour sessions each; beginning in mid-September 2018)
- Teach 1 weekly intermediate-level French course for the Fall semester (12 of 1.5-hour sessions each; beginning in mid-September 2018)
- French Beginners A1 – This is a great opportunity to achieve a basic level of proficiency, which will allow you to understand and use daily French. At the end of the course, you will be able to introduce yourself, ask and answer simple questions, talk about your hobbies, perform routine tasks, and express your likes and dislikes. Emphasis will be on oral expression.
- French Beginners A2- Continuation of French beginners A1. A course designed to improve speaking and writing abilities by introducing more complex structures and vocabulary. Emphasis will be on oral expression.
- Conduct placement test for French Beginners A2 as needed
- Location: BC Children’s Hospital (Oak Street) and VGH Boardroom
- Mondays and Tuesdays in the afternoon for 12 weeks
- Priority will be given to candidates with previous French teaching experience and that already have a class curriculum.
Salary & Benefits
- Salary: $30 per hour
How to Apply
Subject line should read: French Instructor – your full name
Application deadline: August 15, 2018, 11:59pm
Please submit a resume and a cover letter in PDF format, detailing why you are interested in the position and any relevant prior experiences.
We thank all candidates in advance for their interests in the position. However, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls or follow-up emails, please.