The GSS is seeking a passionate Advocacy Coordinator to join our Advocacy office.
As a graduate student yourself, you will be interested in helping other students through academic, financial, and disciplinary issues. You will engage with the graduate
student community to identify issues and areas of concern for students so that the GSS can help to address these issues.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
– Explore options and facilitate resolutions with graduate students who find themselves in conflict with the university or a faculty member, or who have other needs/questions related to graduate student life (academic, financial, employment)
– Provide support during disciplinary proceedings and assistance with appeal procedures to graduate students, as necessary
– Research information not easily accessible to graduate students, regarding UBC policies and procedures as necessary
– Provide appropriate referrals
– Regularly check Advocacy email and voicemail and respond in a timely manner
– Maintain a record-keeping mechanism for student cases as appropriate
– Be proactive with approaches on how to reach out to students, and educate them about their rights and responsibilities
– Establish and maintain collaboration and trust with other units on campus such as International house, Equity Office, UBC Ombuds Office (OO), FOGS, Student Services, AMS Advocacy, etc.
– Attend monthly meetings of AMS Advocacy/GSS Advocacy/UBC Ombuds Office to discuss issues of common concern, including proactively reaching out to students
– Attend workshops and conferences on campus related to providing better support to students, including initiatives supporting students’ mental health and wellbeing
– Attend meetings, conferences and workshops at the request of the VP Academic and External
– Regularly report to VP Academic & External Affairs
– Provide support to the VP Academic & External Affairs through regular meetings and provide task tracking through the Advocacy Office Strategic Planning
– Write an annual transition report on the activities involved, due at AGM
– Upon transition, assist the incoming Advocacy Coordinator with orientation, training, and case management strategy under the consent of the GSS President and the VP Academic & External Affairs
– Report to GSS Council every 3 months
This position is paid as an honorarium of $7000 annually.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume, cover letter and references to the Vice-President, Administration at email@example.com.