Posting Title: Administrative Assistant
Employee Group: Non-Union
Appointment Type: Contract
Appointment Status: Full-time
Start Date: Immediate
Hours per Week 35
Benefits Health and Dental Plan
About the Graduate Student Society, UBC – Vancouver (GSS)
The GSS boasts a membership of approximately 10,000 graduate students at UBC. We advocate in the interest of its members to the administration and faculty of UBC and to the local, provincial, and federal government. We also provide Advocacy Services in support of individual graduate students who are experiencing academic or personal difficulties. Lastly, the GSS offers academic, professional development, social, and community service programs to its membership.
The GSS operates and is the steward of the Thea Koerner House Graduate Student Centre (GSC).
The Administrative Assistant will provide administrative support to the GSS President, members of the GSS Executive, and to the GSS General Manager. The incumbent will also act as the concierge to visitors to the GSC and GSS offices. As a function of the position, the Administrative Assistant will be responsible for archiving GSS documents and data, as well as managing our archives.
- Record keeping, this includes taking council meeting minutes, maintaining committee membership lists, filing committee minutes, and tracking councilor attendance
- Develop fluency with GSS programs, policies, and bylaws
- Act as information officer for the society to visitors in the GSS office and connect students to important GSS services, events, programs, and university services
- Scan, archive, and organize GSS invoices, contracts, agreements, licenses, waivers, minutes, reports, communications, surveys, and other important GSS data
- Assist with the organization of society functions including council meetings, committee meetings, and councilor retreats
- Assist the President with council communications and the call for, collection, and issuance of council meeting agenda items
Skills, Abilities, & Expertise
- Experience in minute-taking and producing minutes for distribution required
- Highly knowledgeable of Microsoft Office, and particularly proficient in the use of Word and Excel required.
- Experience learning and using with the ability to learn and use software programs
- Experience and knowledge of Roberts Rule of Order and familiarity with NPO board governance an asset
- Previous administrative assisting experience; ability to employ a systematic and efficient approach to work
- Detail-oriented with ability to function and process information with high levels of accuracy and multi-task under pressure
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Customer service oriented when interacting with visitors to the GSC and personable, and courteous in working relationships with students and colleagues
- A University degree or specific college diploma/certificate related to office administration or work experience as an administrative assistant
Why the GSS
The GSS is located in a UBC heritage building in the midst of one of Canada’s most beautiful campuses. Working with the GSS offers the rewards of assisting students to achieve academic and post-graduate success.
We invite applications from all qualified individuals. The GSS is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Consideration of applicants will include an assessment of previous performance, experience, and qualifications. Applicants should have well developed oral communication skills in English.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.
How to Apply
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Interviews will begin on November 28 but applications shall be accepted until December 4, 11:59 pm.
Please submit a detailed resume and a cover letter that addresses the position’s requirements in PDF format.