Do you love soccer? Want to earn a few extra bucks this summer? The GSS is seeking for individuals to become referees for the GSS Summer Soccer League, with its 2016 season branching out into two categories: Competitive and Recreational.
GSS Soccer Referee (6 positions)
The GSS-paid position of the referee shall manage soccer matches played between teams of graduate students according to the FIFA Laws of the Game and the training curriculum as specified in the BC Soccer Referee Program.
The referee is expected to cooperate with GSS staff and Team Captains to foster a positive play experience and to mitigate the risk of injury to the players.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Referee in a manner that creates a positive recreational experience for UBC graduate students registered in the GSS Summer Soccer League Program
- Attend referee meetings before and during the season as required
- Officiate matches to which he/she is assigned according to the FIFA Laws and GSS guidelines
- Keep a record of each match he/she officiates and send via email a report indicating game scores (goals per team) to the GSS Events Director
- Take and execute direction received from the Events Director and GSS staff
- Carry out any other refereeing tasks as necessary
Qualifications and Desired Skills
To be considered for the position of referee, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrate good character and reliability
- Be interested in promoting the benefits of team sports, especially soccer
- Be physically capable
- Be certified as a BC Soccer referee OR be very familiar with the rules and penalties applied in the game
- Be aware of gameplay that carries the potential for injury of players and firmly eliminates play that is unfair and unsafe
Referees are subject to the following term and conditions of employment:
- Enforce bylaws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines of the GSS
- Accept the direction, supervision and the authority of the GSS Events Director
The referees are expected to be available to referee soccer matches over a 3-month period, running from the start of June to the end of August.
The estimated hours of employment will vary week to week. When scheduled, two games (1 hour each) will be guaranteed to referee.
Games take place between 5 pm and 10 pm on Fridays in June, and Thursdays in late June to end of August.
Games to be referred will be held at the following locations:
- Warren Field (UBC Thunderbird Sports Park)
- UNA Community Field (University Hill Secondary School)
Referees will be paid at a rate of $18 per one-hour game.
Two games are guaranteed when scheduled. Referees are not guaranteed weekly games in order to provide scheduling flexibility with respect to covering shifts when, for unavoidable reasons, a scheduled referee is unable to work.
How to Apply
- Email: GSS Events Director at email@example.com
- Application deadline: Until positions are filled
Please submit a cover letter and resume (PDF) that details experience and training specifically relevant to the requirements of the position.