Job Title: GSS Speaker
The GSS student executives and the GSS Council that oversee the operations of the Graduate Student Society – UBC Vancouver (GSS) are advocates, creators and instigators. Yes, they obsess over graduate study success, like academic policies, supervisor-student relationships, and extended health and dental coverage, but they also mix with big ideas. They get the 10,000 UBC graduate students talking, get them stoked and inspired for an active and balanced campus life.
In a nutshell, the GSS Speaker co-chairs with the GSS President at the Society’s monthly council meetings to manage and ensure an orderly flow of business. The GSS Council is comprised of the GSS Student Executive and 70-80 student representatives of the graduate student programs at the Point Grey campus.
- At the monthly GSS Council meetings:
- Act as co-presiding chair with the GSS President to ensure orderly flow of business
- Moderate debates
- Make rulings on Council procedure and code interpretation in an impartial manner as needed
- Manage the Council’s electronic voting system
- GSS Council meetings are held on campus, on the third Thursday of the month, at 5:30pm, unless otherwise stated or agreed upon by the GSS Council
- The Speaker is accountable to the GSS President
- Other duties as needed
Term & Wage
- The initial contract is for a term of 1 year, subject to a three-month probationary period
- The contract will be reviewed annually by way of a performance review
- Wage: $100 per meeting
- For each hour after the first 4 hours of a meeting, an additional $25 per hour
- The Speaker cannot hold any other elected, staff, or appointed position within the GSS or any Departmental Organization. Should a Speaker become a candidate for an elected position within these, the incumbent will immediate cease to hold this position.
How to Apply
Application deadline: June 14, 2017, 5pm
Please submit a resume and a cover letter in PDF format, detailing why you are interested in the position and any relevant prior experiences.
We thank all candidates in advance for their interests in the position. However, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls or follow-ups, please.