The five student executives and the staff members who manage the day-to-day operations of the Graduate Student Society, UBC Vancouver (GSS) are advocates, creators, and instigators. Yes, they obsess over graduate study success, like academic policies, supervisor-student relationships, and extended health and dental coverage, but they also mix with big ideas. They get the 10,000 UBC graduate students talking, get them stoked and inspired for an active and balanced campus life.
Soccer Referees of the GSS Summer Sports League will manage soccer matches between teams of UBC graduate students according to the FIFA Laws of the Game and the training curriculum as specified in the BC Soccer Referee Program. Referees are expected to cooperate with GSS staff and team captains to develop a positive play experience and to mitigate the risk of injury to athletes.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- To referee in a manner that creates a positive recreational experience
- Attend referee meetings before and during the season as required
- Officiate matches according to the FIFA Laws and GSS guidelines
- Keep a record of each match he/she officiates and send via email a report indicating game scores (goals per team) to the GSS Events Manager
- Take and execute direction received from the Events Manager and GSS staff
- Carry out any other refereeing tasks as necessary
Qualifications and Desired Skills
To be considered for the position of referee, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrate good character and reliability
- Be interested in promoting the benefits of team sports, especially soccer
- Be physically capable
- Be certified as a BC Soccer referee OR be very familiar with the rules and penalties applied in the game
- Be aware of gameplay that carries the potential for injury of players and firmly eliminate play that is unfair and unsafe
Referees are subject to the following term and conditions of employment:
- Enforce bylaws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines of the GSS
- Accept the direction, supervision and the authority of the GSS Events Manager
- The referees are expected to be available to referee soccer matches over a 3-month period running from the start of June to the end of August
- The estimated hours of employment will vary week to week. When scheduled, two games (1 hour each) will be guaranteed to referee
- Games take place between 6 pm and 10 pm on Fridays
Games to be referred will be held at the following location(s):
- Warren Field (UBC Thunderbird Sports Park)
- Referees will be paid at a rate of $18 per one-hour game. Two games are guaranteed when scheduled.
- Referees are not guaranteed weekly games in order to provide scheduling flexibility with respect to covering shifts when, for unavoidable reasons, a scheduled referee is unable to work.
How to Apply
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application deadline: May 18, 2017, at 9 am
Please submit a resume and a cover letter in PDF format, detailing why you are interested in the position and any relevant prior experiences.
We thank all candidates in advance for their interests in the position. However, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls or follow-ups, please.