Looking to make FRIENDS or meet other graduate students? CONTRIBUTE to your graduate student community by volunteering to serve on a GSS Committee! Whether you are in your first year or final year at UBC, you can still make a difference in graduate student life.
GSS Committees are comprised of a ratio of elected Councillors and “ordinary members”, i.e. someone who is not an elected Councillor… In other words… YOU!
YOU can sit on a GSS Committee, provide input and gain valuable work experience about organizational operations and advocacy issues. Committees meet twice a month, and meetings are usually about two hours long. Food is generally provided at committee meetings.
Open committee positions:
- Academic and External Committee (3 Councillors, 1 Ordinary Member)
- Code and Policy Committee (2 Ordinary Members)
- Discrimination and Harassment Committee ( 1 Ordinary Member)
- Executive Oversight Committee (2 Councillors)
- House Finance Committee (2 Councillors)
- Human Resources Committee (2 Councillors, 3 Ordinary members)
- Services Committee (2 Councillors, 1 Ordinary members)
- Strategic Planning Ad hoc committee (1 Councillor, 1 Ordinary Member)
How to Apply
To volunteer, please email Odo Ansah, GSS Administrative Assistant at email@example.com and indicate the following:
- Your name
- Your program/department
- Which committee(s) you wish to self-nominate yourself to serve
Nomination deadline: October 20, 2016, 5:30pm
Once we have received your application, the following process will occur:
- Your name will be submitted for nomination to the GSS Council for approval by being placed on the council meeting agenda as a nominee for the committee you wish to join
- Ideally, you should attend the next GSS Council meeting on October 20, 2016, at 5:30 pm, GSS Ballroom (6371 Crescent road):
- Be prepared to make a 2-minute presentation to the GSS Council as to why you wish to sit on the committee
- The GSS Council will vote at the meeting
- If you are elected, the Committee Chair will contact you regarding the committee’s meeting schedule and your availability
Please email Odo Ansah, the GSS Administrative Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org.