Position Assistant Researcher
Company Resource Works Society
Contact Peter Severinson
Research Director, Resource Works
600-666 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, V6C 2X8
The Assistant Researcher’s main tasks will be to perform literature- and statistics-based research to support multiple Resource Works projects. The position will also involve producing a high volume of written material for a general, non-technical audience. Additionally, the Assistant Researcher will support Resource Works staff with other tasks, such as producing web-based communication material and supporting organizational planning and development.
About Resource Works
Resource Works is non-profit society launched in April 2014 with a mandate to provide reliable and compelling information about BC’s natural-resource sector. Our priority is to contribute sound, credible and relevant information on the importance of the resource sector to the BC economy. Our long-term objective is to support productive public discourse and sound public policy on resource issues. Our mission and activities are directed by a diverse 16-member advisory council. Resource Works is independent of any individual business interest and does not take a position for or against specific projects. Our work is primarily delivered through the Resource Works website: resourceworks.com.
We are looking for a master’s level student with a background related to economics, public policy, political science or natural resources.
We are looking for candidates with the following skills and experience:
- Familiarity with current affairs in BC business, politics and economics
- Extensive skills relating to online literature-based research
- A strong ability to work with statistics, including familiarity working with Excel
- High economic literacy
- The ability to produce clear, compelling writing for a general audience
- Comfort working in a fast-paced, high-output environment that demands significant personal responsibility
- Professionalism: The ability to work well with a team, assume meaningful responsibilities and work independently to advance the organization’s mission
Preference may be given to candidates with the following assets:
- Skills related to producing graphs, charts and other infographics
- Experience producing compelling web-based written material
- The pursuit of academic research in line with Resource Works’ mandate
Location, duration, and compensation
The position is based in an office environment in downtown Vancouver. It involves 450 hours of work over a three-month period, based on an expected full-time schedule of 37.5 hours per week for 12 weeks. Compensation is $2,500.00 per month.
How to apply
To apply, please send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 9am, June 16, 2014:
- A resume
- A brief cover letter that summarizes your background, interests, skills and aspirations, with an emphasis on how they might apply to the work done at Resource Works
- A copy of your most recent academic transcript