In recent weeks there has been a great deal of dialogue on issues of sexual assault and sexual violence as a result of UBC’s Sexual Assault Policy consultation.
Recognizing the importance of this policy and UBC’s ongoing work on sexual assault education, prevention, and awareness, I have asked Louise Cowin, Vice-President, Students to convene a Steering Committee on Sexual Assault.
We recognize the richness of work happening across our campuses, and within our communities, around issues of sexual violence. The steering committee will, therefore, work in a transparent, inclusive and consultative way to:
- Provide input and advice to the Policy Committee on feedback, drafts, and key questions;
- Create an action plan to address the recommendations from the University Sexual Assault Panel and feedback provided during the policy consultation;
- Work with existing groups and/or establish representative subcommittees to accomplish specific tasks related to creating an effective response to sexual assault through education, prevention, and awareness.
The current membership of the steering committee is:
- Louise Cowin, Vice-President, Students (Chair)
- Professor Janine Benedet, Peter A. Allard School of Law
- Gen Cruz, President, Graduate Student Society
- Ian Cull, Associate Vice-President, Students, UBC Okanagan
- Blake Edwards, President, UBC Students’ Union Okanagan
- Sara-Jane Finlay, Associate Vice-President, Equity & Inclusion
- Professor Jennifer Love, Senior Advisor to the Provost on Women Faculty
- Linda McKnight, Director, Human Resources Advisory Services
- Ava Nasiri, President, Alma Mater Societ
- Janet Teasdale, Managing Director, Student Development & Services
- Professor Margot Young, Peter A. Allard School of Law
In addition to the above membership, the steering committee is inviting applications from faculty, staff and students to fill four additional places. They are seeking individuals who will bring a diversity of experience, identity, and expertise to the committee.
Applications should be received no later than 9 am on November 2, 2016. More details are available online at equity.ubc.ca.