Are you active in the areas of health, wellbeing & social sustainability on UBC Vancouver and Okanagan campuses? Passionate about figuring out ways in which our University can foster an inspirational and thriving place to study, work, and live?
2015 International Conference on Health Promoting Universities and Colleges
Dates: June 22-25, 2015
Location: UBC Okanagan Campus, Kelowna, BC |
This June 22 – 25, the International Conference on Health Promoting Universities and Colleges will be bringing together researchers, practitioners, administrators, students and policy-makers from around the world to explore topics around healthy and sustainable campus development.
The UBC Wellbeing Initiative would like to help you get there! The conference will be looking at the role, responsibility, and opportunity that universities and colleges have to create healthy and vibrant places to live and work.
Conference topics are diverse and intersecting, and include: health literacy, paths to promote human and environmental health and wellbeing, universities as agents for change, environmental sustainability, social innovation and entrepreneurship, and making a thriving campus and transformative academic experience.
Four (4) sponsorships are available for students from UBC Vancouver Campus to attend the conference on Health Promoting Universities and Colleges taking place at the UBC Okanagan Campus in June. The sponsorship is available for both undergrad and grad students in all disciplines. Aboriginal students are encouraged to apply.
Ideal candidates are students who:
- Demonstrate an ongoing interest in improving wellbeing on UBC campuses – Vancouver and Okanagan. (Wellbeing is an overarching term that might include, but is not limited to, the promotion of mental, physical, social, and environmental health).
- Are committed to sharing the knowledge learned at the conference with wider UBC communities.
- Will be continuing their studies at UBC Vancouver in the 2015/2016 school year.
Sponsorship provided by the UBC Wellbeing Initiative will cover
- On-site accommodation from June 22- 25 (Value of $200).
- Conference fees plus June 24 banquet (Value of $350).
- Meals: Lunch is included in conference fees.
- Transportation: Carpool to the event offered.
Attendance also includes a June 23 student evening (dinner, networking, music) with other students from across Canada and around the world, hosted by the UBC Okanagan Student Union and other sponsors.
Interested students are asked to apply by submitting a 250-word statement by May 14. Successful applicants will be notified May 21.
Student submissions should include:
- Current year, degree, and faculty
- What, if any, is your current involvement with promoting wellbeing on the UBC Campus?
- How would attending the conference influence your work in wellbeing at UBC, your studies, and/or personal pursuits?
- How do you propose to inspire others UBC community members with what you have learned at the conference?
- Please indicate if you identify as Aboriginal (First Nations, Inuit or Métis)
About the UBC Wellbeing Initiative
The Wellbeing Initiative is a university-wide effort to engage with our Vancouver and Okanagan campus communities to answer the question:
How can all of us within the UBC campus communities work together to promote the wellbeing, health, and sustainability of our people and environments?
To apply, or for more information, please email
Stephanie Aitken – email@example.com
UBC Sustainability Scholar for the “Conversations in Wellbeing” Project LASA Health and Wellness Rep.
Master of Landscape Architecture Candidate