Covid-19 Support

We know that this is a uniquely challenging time for graduate students, filled with uncertainties. Although the GSS Office is temporarily closed, we’re still here to support you.GSS Peer Support Specialists are graduate students who can give confidential assistance to fellow graduate students experiencing difficulties, academic or otherwise. They provide you with relevant information on, and facilitate access to, university resources. They empower you to resolve disputes fairly and in a timely manner.

  • Our students are not trained mental health professionals or counsellors, so while we can offer advice and support, we’ll have to direct you to more specialist services for this
  • Our advocates can’t provide direct access to funds. The GSS has a hardship fund the GSFA, that you may be able to access, but this money is given out by a separate panel.

Contact a peer support specialist at

The GSFA, or Graduate Student Financial Aid is the GSS’s fund to support graduate students at UBC Vancouver, who are experiencing unforeseen financial hardship. We are still accepting applications for the GFSA during the campus closureThe fund can cover a wide range of expenses directly arising from unforeseen circumstances, which may include but not be limited to:

  • Rent and living expenses
  • Prescription medication not covered by MSP, Pharmacare, and the AMS / GSS Health and Dental Plan
  • Moving and related expenses
  • The UBC Leave of Absence fee

Our Executives and Committees are continuing to work with our campus partners to make sure that graduate student concerns are being met at this time.

If you have concerns about policies relating to your work, accommodation or other aspects of your life as a student, please fill in the form below or email:

UBC’s regularly updated information page on the University and COVID includes links to resources specifically for students:

UBC’s FAQ’s for students: Link

The BC Centre for Disease Control provides the latest medical advice on COVID 19

UBC Graduate Studies have provided a thorough list addressing FAQ’s for graduate students on a range of academic and personal issues related to COVID-19. This also includes links to useful resources for mental health

UBC Housing provides the latest information for students in residences : Centre BC:

If you or someone you know is feeling hopeless or thinking about suicide, call or chat online with a crisis responder any time.

Mental Health Support Line: 310-6789

Online Chat Service for Adults: (Noon to 1am)


Canadian Association of Mental Health:

They provide a range of services:

  • Mental health information, referral and support at:

  • Skill-building and resiliency-enhancing platforms:


UBC-Specific Resources:


A UBC-Developed mental health platform to support youth’s mental health and wellness. Accessible to everyone, whether you are a current UBC student or not.


Empower Me

Empower Me provides counselling and life coaching, free for all students. They can help with anything you’re concerned about and will give you the option of getting help online or by phone. They provide confidential counselling 24/7, and it’s free for all UBC students.

Contact Information:

Hotline: 1 844 741 6389

Study Room, Thea Koerner House, UBC

GSS Loft, Rm. 4202 of AMS Student Nest, UBC

Leon’s Lounge, Thea Koerner House, UBC

Thea’s Lounge, Thea Koerner House, UBC

Penthouse, Thea Koerner House, UBC