The Graduate Student Society, UBC – Vancouver (GSS) is seeking an enthusiastic graduate student who is interested in politics to help in organizing several events and running a campaign around the upcoming federal election. Moreover, they would help students register to vote and collect pledges to vote. Information about where and how to vote can be found here: https://www.elections.ca/homeGE.aspx
The Coordinator will report directly to the GSS VP External and will work with the VP to establish a schedule of activities and work schedule that would guide the Coordinator’s use of allocated work hours.
What you will be doing
- Help to coordinate volunteers interested in working to “get out the vote”
- Participate in on-campus training on August 26th and 28th.
- Manage the “get out the vote” page online on social media such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Post on social media weekly about the news around the federal elections, specifically news related to graduate students.
- Write articles about the federal election biweekly in the GSS newsletter and social media.
- Organize one informative session “Canadian Government 101” for informing students who are new in Canada: reserve the venue, order food and beverage, invite the lecturer
- Organize a discussion event around parties’ platforms and candidates’ plans, particularly the ones which are related to and effect graduate students: reserve the venue, order food and beverage, invite speaker/speakers.
- Disseminate informational materials to graduate students both on paper and online.
- Be proactive and creative with approaches on how to reach out to students about the upcoming federal election
- Providing regular weekly working hours “tabling” at various locations on and off-campus to help graduate students that are interested in voting in the federal election and learning about the candidates and to receive the graduate students’ feedback about what is their expectation from the elected government.
- Regularly informally update the VP External Affairs regarding activities and submit a semi-monthly report as to hours worked. Work to align hours of work with the schedule of hours and activities provided by the VP External Affairs.
- Regularly check email and voicemail and respond in a timely manner.
What you should have
- Experience in writing articles about politics.
- Proven track record of unbiased political analysis and reporting.
- Working knowledge around Canadian political parties and politicians.
- A background and/or degree in political science or related fields is preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in organizing events.
Position Type: Part time – Contract
- Start Date: August 26th.
- Finish Date: October 25th.
Hours per Week: 15 hours
Salary: The Society agrees to pay the Employee the sum of $14.30 per hour plus 4% vacation pay which will be paid biweekly, provided that all duties pertaining to the position are performed to the Vice President’s (External Relations) expectations.
HOW TO APPLY
Subject line should read: Federal Election Engagement Coordinator – your full name
Deadline for applications is: 08/22/2019
Please submit a cover letter and resume (PDF) that details experience and training specifically relevant to the requirements of the position.
We thank all candidates in advance for their interests in the position. However, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls or follow-up emails, please.
About the GSS
The GSS (Graduate Student Society) serves the 10,000 graduate students at UBC Vancouver, helping them have the best experience possible during their studies. We connect graduate students with campus resources, opportunities, and social events. We provide everything from individual support for students, to advocacy at provincial and federal levels on the most important issues graduate students face. The GSS is located at Thea Koerner House, which has been the center of graduate student life on campus since it was opened in 1962.
Ensuring an inclusive and diverse workplace is a key value of the GSS. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, abilities, and perspectives, and are proud to promote a supportive work environment.
Come be a part of the GSS.