The Administrative Assistant will provide administrative support to the GSS President, members of the GSS Executive, and to the GSS General Manager or other staff as necessary. The incumbent will also act as the concierge to visitors to the GSC and GSS offices. As a function of the position, the Administrative Assistant will be responsible for archiving GSS documents and data, as well as managing our archives. Opportunities exist to expand the position to include projects of interest to the applicant.
- Develop fluency with GSS programs, stakeholders, policies, and bylaws.
- Act as the first point of contact to the society in the GSS office.
- Connect students to important GSS services, events, programs, and university services.
- Assist with the logistics and organization of society functions including council meetings, committee meetings, Councilor orientation, student related events, and other GSS events.
- Record keeping, which includes:
- taking minutes of the GSS monthly Council meeting and keeping track of Councilor attendance
- maintaining lists of active and former Council members,
- maintaining committee membership lists and filing committee minutes
- scanning, archiving, and organizing GSS invoices, contracts, agreements, licenses, waivers, minutes, reports, communications, surveys, and other important GSS data in a systematic way and in accordance with GSS practices and policies.
- assisting with the coding and data entry of expenses incurred for the different events and activities through the society’s credit card or other methods of payment.
- preparing, updating and distributing the GSS internal contact list on a regular basis.
- Assist the President, the General Manager and other GSS Executives with:
- scheduling meetings, and independently handling the tasks associated with meeting preparation.
- organizing meetings of Council, including council communications, the call for, collection, and issuance of council meeting agenda items
- Prepare correspondence, documents, reports, minutes and lists as requested for:
- General Manager.
- Events Manager.
- Communications and Marketing Director.
- Support the Executive and existing staff team in special projects.
- Assist GSS in the development of written procedures aimed to develop a more robust administrative structure and written institutional memory.
Skills, Abilities, & Expertise
- Detail-oriented with ability to function and process information with high levels of accuracy.
- Organizational skills; ability to employ a systematic and efficient approach to work.
- Ability to carry out day to day tasks with minimum supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to communicate with stakeholders, such as student councilors and UBC staff, effectively and professionally.
- Customer service oriented when interacting with visitors to the GSS and personable, and courteous in working relationships with students and colleagues.
- Self learner, ability to identify needs or areas of improvement and take initiative to address issues.
- Flexibility to perform other staff duties temporarily and to assist other members of the GSS team.
- Highly knowledgeable in Microsoft Office, and particularly proficient in the use of Word and Excel.
- Experience in minute-taking and producing minutes for distribution is highly desirable.
- Previous administrative assisting experience.
- Experience learning and using software programs. Experience with the Microsoft Teams Sharepoint, and Access systems is highly valued.
- Experience and knowledge of Robert’s Rules of Order and familiarity with NPO board governance.
A University degree or specific college diploma/certificate related to office administration or work experience as an administrative assistant
About the Graduate Student Society, UBC – Vancouver (GSS)
The GSS boasts a membership of approximately 10,000 graduate students at UBC. We advocate for our members to the administration and faculty of UBC, and to the local, provincial, and federal government. We also provide Advocacy Services in support of individual graduate students who are experiencing academic or personal difficulties. Lastly, the GSS offers academic, professional development, social, and community service programs to its membership. The GSS operates and is the steward of the Thea Koerner House Graduate Student Centre (GSC).
How to Apply
- Subject line should read: Administrative Assistant – your full name
- Application deadline: September 1, 2020
Please submit a cover letter and resume (all documents in a single .pdf file) that details experience and training specifically relevant to the requirements of the position.
We thank all candidates in advance for their interest in the position. However, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls or follow-up emails, please.